World  Travel  Reportage 

Photos and videos of travel, culture, nature, sports by professional reporters

facebook logo
World  Travel  Reportage 
Photos and videos of travel, culture, nature, sports by professional reporters
SEARCH

Stupinigi castle (Italy)

Italy - Curiosity - Back to index
By: Gianni Gallo

Stupinigi on Google Maps.
The Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi Residence of the Savoys, the reigning house in Italy until the advent of the republic, was built as a residence for hunting and court parties from 1729 on a project by Filippo Juvarra. One of the jewels of the Piedmontese Barocco, only 10 km from the center of Turin, it is still surrounded by fields and woods. The visit path open to the public starts from the eighteenth-century Juvarrian stables where the original sculpture of the deer made by Francesco Ladatte is located. Once the sculpture was positioned on the dome of the castle today replaced by a copy. The visit continues through the library until it reaches the Central Hall, the heart of the hunting lodge. The large elliptical hall is located at the intersection of the cross of Sant'Andrea which houses the royal apartments.  From here you enter in the King's apartment, the Queen's apartment, the antappella and the chapel of S. Uberto (protector of hunting and hunters), recently restored and then entering in the Levante apartment, intended for the Dukes of Chiablese. In the succession of the richly decorated rooms meet the Chinese Cabinets with large and precious tapestries and the Mirrors Room. The ceilings and walls are painted with mythological hunting scenes rich of allegorical figures. At the end of the visit you reach the Game Room where the furniture follows the double strand of chinoiserie and furniture dedicated to leisure. Inside is housed the Museum of Art and Furnishings which exhibits, in addition to the furnishings of the building also those from other Savoy residences (Moncalieri and Venaria), works by artists such as the cabinetmaker Pietro Piffetti and the wooden sculptor Giuseppe Maria Bonzanino. Part of the architectural complex are the gardens behind the Palazzina, built starting from 1740 by the French gardener Michael Bernard, and the natural park established in 1992. The Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi, part of the circuit of Savoy residences in Piedmont, was declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997.
Useful links for more informations:
www.ordinemauriziano.it/palazzina-di-caccia-stupinigi/percorso-museale
www.residenzereali.it/index.php
www.turismotorino.org